John Lautner Lecture Transcript



Sci-Arc Media Archive video clip lecture on January 1, 1976


John Lautner-

The Reason That I went into what Architecture When I was in college I Analyzed different professions and it Seemed as though many of them got into a rut. And since then, I've found Is that if you're really are a creative thinker then you can make any profession a creative one, but many of them tend to get into a specialty or a rut.

I picked architecture as a profession, Which is non ending. I did not want to be at a dead end When I was fifty years old. So Now that I am over sixty I am still starting. So the design process is a very involved thing. In fact, it takes till your about forty before you have any kind of control or enough knowledge of architecture before you can really start to design.

You may take a whack at it When your a student but it's a superficial and kind of empty or one sided whack. Because it cant Possibly Include Everything That is Necessary in a total design. So my design process is first of all ..

The Reason for Architecture to me is for the human being and so it's a shelter and to Environment Primarily for human beings and not Merely a thing to get out of the rain it's a functional space Which Contributes to the emotions, psyche, the life, and Should be ideally a living work of art, Which is of endearing quality and in fact timeless and All These Things ideal is what we try to achieve. So the design process includes all of that, plus all of the technology, plus all the building business, plus all the monkey business, plus the finance business, plus etc (laugh). So THAT is kinda of the start on the design practice.

Well in practicing this way, Gradually the More Often your able to get together everything involved. Which is what I try to do is get all of the requirements of the human being or beings and the site and the material and everything and I try to conceive of an idea Which is what I think is the most Appropriate all together. And once I get an idea, a totally Idea That is the design. But sometimes you get this idea very soon, sometimes Often its a real sweat it takes weeks or months before you resolve and think is a worthwhile idea. Sometimes I try maybe half a dozen different Approaches to some problem and then it Becomes even more difficult Because its hard to Select which is the most totally valid. So the best design I've Done havebeen cases where I have seen the whole thing as a whole thing almost the next day and conceived of a whole idea for this, whatever it is. Then its pretty easy to carry it out into preliminary, working drawings, etc .. but, the main thing is to have a total idea.

- John Lautner


Referenced Links:
http://sma.sciarc.edu/video/1491_la_12_discussion-1976/

Related Articles:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oblivion Sky Tower

32 Simple and Basic Design Ideas of Frank Lloyd Wright

Bruce Goff's Ledbetter House